Monday, June 10, 2013

Bird > Bird Strikes Jet Engine



General Electrics test jet engines. Among the many tests, it shoots birds into the jet engine fan-blades.

I know what it feels like to be aircraft engine stalled in the mid-air, 6,500 feet above the ground. It happened to me back in 1991, near Agua Dulce airport, not far from Palmdale, CA.

On the day, I flew Cessna 152, a two-seater small aircraft. I was on my way to Las Vegas. When I reached Barstow, I encountered strong gusty wind. I was jumping up and donw in the seat due to strong turbulence, my head started hitting the ceiling. Then I realized that if I was kept going, hitting a mountain peak was inevitable before I reached Las Vegas. Hence I decided to return to Van Nuys Airport.

Then there was stronger head-wind on my way back home. It resulted airplane fuel consumption twice as much.

Guess what happened next? I ran out of fuel. The engine stalled and I had to make an emergency landing at the Agua Dulce.

Somehow I managed to make a perfect landing after two loops. Otherwise, it would've been dead long ago, and impossibe being here and writing this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...